A substantial and rare 19th century convoluted ear trumpet signed by Arnold and Sons. The body is made from thick tin and has a black textured finish which is not original but which was done some time ago.
The inside of the trumpet has its original cream finish and there are signs of minor age related oxidation. There is a brass plaque on the front which reads “Arnold & Sons Surgical instrument manufacturers Giltspur Street London” and which is fronted by their motif. According to Bennion they were in business from 1866. The ear piece is made from elephant ivory and is in good condition noting a hairline crack.