A rare early 19th century tubular speculum made from a single piece of ivory. The tubular shape was first pioneered by Récamier in 1801 and later modified by him in 1829 and further by Stolz and Jobert de Lamballe in the mid 19th century.
The obturator is made from fruitwood. The metal handle is signed “Mathieu Paris”. The enclosed tube was designed to protect the vaginal wall during instrumentation. These specula were also used to introduce leeches to the cervix a treatment sometimes undertaken for amenorrhoea.