A rare set of four German apothecary jars with a design and appearance consistent with the mid to late 18th century.
They are labelled in Latin:
- Pulv Sapon: This was used as a deobstruent (literally removing obstruction) which cleared or opened natural ducts and promoted bodily secretions, i.e an aperient.
- Pulv R Enul: This was used as a treatment for scrofulous (TB) and Yaws.
- China de Chin: Uncertain use. ? Chinese herbs.
- Pulv R Jalapp: Used as an antihelminthic for the treatment of worms.
- From the Phisick collection