A fine hypodermic syringe by Messrs. Evans & Wormull – Surgical instrument makers to the Army & Navy, the Honourable Council of India, several foreign governments, and various hospitals & public institutions.
This syringe is made of silver-plated metal and glass, marked Evans & Co, London. The glass portion of the barrel is wheel etched with painted minim markings. A threaded ring on the graduated piston rod controls the amount of injected medication. The plunger is made of leather and remains intact. Three silver-plated needles are held within corked glass tubes. A wire is inserted inside the lumen of each needle to maintain its cleanliness and patency. A corked glass vial with medication residue also accompanies the set. The wood and leatherette fitted case is lined with a fine blue velvet and silk material. According to an article in The Lancet, Messrs. Evans & Wormull moved to 31 Stamford Street, Blackfriars, London in 1874.
- From the Lusignan syringe collection