A fine Victorian pill roller made from brass and matured mahogany. The gradations are marked in grains. Signed by S. Maw and Son & Thomson who were established makers of quality medical equipment from 1870 to 1901.
Paste with the required pharmaceutical ingredients would be rolled into a tube and places across the brass corrugated sections. The handle would then be put in place and moved over its rail to divide the roll of paste into equally sized parts which would then be rolled into pills.
- From the Phisick collection